SWF Home Inspections – An organized bookshelf can make a huge impression on house guest. www.SWFHI.com
If you’re moving, take your hanging clothes and put them in a trash bag while they’re hanging for easy transport.
9 Quick Tips for Keeping Your Home Feeling Serene and Organized:
1. Be wary of bargains, sales, hand-me-downs and give-away. Do you really need this thing? Or love it? Beware: because of the “endowment effect,” we value things more once we own them. Once that thing enters your home, it will be tough to get it out again.
2. Never label anything “Miscellaneous.”
3. Remember: most decisions don’t require extensive research. Aim to be a satificer, not a maximizer.
4. Don’t let yourself fall into “empty.” Keep cash in the house. Keep gas in your tank. Keep an extra roll of toilet paper squirreled away. Keep your phone charged.
5. Don’t keep excessive amounts of anything. Those glass vases that come from florists. Those ketchup packets that come with take-out food. A house with two adults probably doesn’t need fifteen mismatched souvenir coffee cups.
6. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Lower the bar. Actually spending ten minutes clearing off one shelf is better than fantasizing about spending a weekend cleaning out the basement.
7. Clean while you cook (literally and metaphorically).
8. Put things away in a specific place. It’s much easier to find things later, and it’s oddly satisfying to slot things into their precise places. “Ah, this particular basket on this shelf is the place for the AAA batteries.”
9. Make your bed. I know it sounds trivial, but it’s a bigger happiness booster than you’d expect.